Overview and program purpose
Beautiful Downtown Lewiston’s mission is to create a vital and inviting downtown Lewiston which promotes quality business, cultural, and community growth.
Beautiful Downtown Lewiston (BDL) is sponsoring a matching grant program for signs, awnings, and sandwich boards, which is intended to stimulate improvements to the exterior of commercial buildings and create a cohesive look and feel throughout downtown Lewiston.
BDL would like to assist you in improving your business! Signage is an important part of identifying your business location and style to potential customers. It also contributes to the overall visual appeal of the downtown district in which your business resides.
BDL is able to provide $500 in grant funding for signage in 2017. The Design Committee has selected to prioritize signage grant applications for properties located in the historic pedestrian-oriented downtown core, from 1st to 9th Streets. In addition to projects planned in the next year, BDL will match funds for projects completed in the last year, or from November 1, 2016 forward.
Eligible applicants: Must be a business or property owner within the downtown district AND be a BDL Partner business in good standing.
Deadline: December 1, 2017 by 5pm
Eligible projects: Wall signs, Vinyl window signage, Projecting signs, Awnings, Sandwich boards
The fabrication of the sign and design assistance are both eligible.
Architectural/Design assistance must be done by a professional. Recommended firms (BDL can help connect you with any of the following): Bott & Associates; Castellaw Kom Architects; My Architect, LLC; Advantage Advertising; Blue Sky Mondays; Image! Design Center; Northwest Media Productions
All eligible projects will follow BDL’s Design Guidelines and/or consult with BDL Design Committee when selecting style and color for grant project.
To request a meeting with the Design Committee please contact BDL Executive Director at firstname.lastname@example.org
Additional criteria for selection:
- Project should be designed specifically to contribute to the success of the business. The project should be appropriate for and considerate of the particular building.
- Project should positively contribute to the appearance and vitality of downtown Lewiston.
- There is a need for the new signage, the project may not be possible without the matching grant.
- Project must comply with City of Lewiston codes and receive related permit approvals.
- Successful applicants will be required to obtain appropriate permits and Historic Preservation Certification of Appropriateness (if applicable) before receiving grant funds.
All grants require a 1:1 match (at least 50% of the cost of the project must be paid by the owner).
Maximum grant amount is $500 per business recipient.
Amounts may be subject to current budget funds available for the program.